The first thing I have to share with you is another recipe from my 1,000 Vegetarian Recipes cookbook. Wild Mushroom Sauce. This sauce is so good, the cookbook has it listed as Tortellini with Wild Mushroom Sauce but seriously, this sauce will taste good over anything.
- 1 1/2 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs minces shallots
- 3 cups coarsly chopped wild mushrooms (portobello, crimini, and/or shitake)
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbs Marsala wine
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 3 tbs all purpose flour
- 3 tbs heavy cream
- 2 tbs grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (I left this out)
- In a 2-quart sauce pain, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add shallots and cook until tender.
- Add mushrooms and stir until softened.
- Add broth, water, marsala wine, thyme, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes.
- In a 1 1/2 quart sauce pan, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- Stir in the flour until well absorbed.
- Stir in the mushrooms and broth, stir until mixture comes to a boil.
- Add the cream, parmesan cheese, and parsley.
If you try this, let me know what you thought about it and how you chose to serve the sauce! This is a definite new favorite of mine!