Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Adjustments & Conversations

The last couple of weeks has been a whirlwind.  I love my new job in the recover room.  There is so much to learn and I feel like such a slow poke.  I know that it will take time, especially in this position with no real experience.  I wish I could click my heels and be up to speed.  I continue to have reservations with certain things (medications) and I think it's driving some crazy. I know all will come with time but my confidence has gone out the window.  Please come back!  The hours are variable.  My first paycheck had 38.5 hours for 5 days of working.  I am having a hard time adjusting to this crazy thing called work.  Still trying to find that balance.  I am exhausted.

We also started Mackenzie at a new school this week.  It's closer to our house so I can participate in drop off/pick up. Poor thing was already having a hard time adjusting to me working and not getting home until it's time for her to go to bed.  Needless to say, I was dreading her first day at her new school.   Here is why:

1.  I actually have to do mom things like feed her breakfast and pack her lunch!  This was provided at her previous daycare.  They are a "no nut" facility so we can not take PB&J, her favorite.  No problem, we'll find something she likes! 
2.  Now I am dropping her off.  I have to be to work around 8, the earliest I can drop her off is 7, it takes an hour to get to work.  I anticipated it taking about 15 minutes the first couple of weeks to get her dropped off. 
3.  Found out on the first day that her class room is a "paci free."  I about died.  Yes I admit, she still uses it for nap/bed time.  She knows the paci fairy will be visiting soon though so we are working on it.

I want to add that I am IN LOVE with her new school.  Everyone has been so nice to us.  We got to spend a couple of hours there on Friday to prepare her.  She loved it.  The upside is that our friends take their kids there so Mackenzie already knows 2 of the kids in her class.

To my surprise everything is going so smooth for Mackenzie's transition.  Packing lunches are great, she picked out a Dora lunchbox.  We are having to get up a tad bit earlier these days to make sure she gets breakfast before we leave.  So far so good. Drop off is going great!  She willingly goes to one of the teachers and sees me off.  She cries a bit but no clinging or fighting.  I have been told that it only last a minute or two.  Hallelujah!   I drop her off right at 7 and am out of there by 7:10 and believe it or not, I have made it to work by no later than 8:10.
 

And here's the kicker.
 
She has not asked for her paci once since starting there.  She goes to sleep without it, no questions, no whining.  I can't believe it.  At home it's a different story but she doesn't ask for it until bedtime.  We keep it out of sight.  Paci fairy will be here sooner than later.  I think another Hallelujah is in order.

Switching gears:

I really need to get a journal so I can write down all of the funny things Mackenzie says.  She is the silliest girl.  Here is one of our conversations from yesterday:

Me:  Mackenzie, how many times did you go potty like a big girl today?

Mackenzie:  I went potty four seconds!





1 comment:

  1. Yay! I'm so happy things are going well with all the new transitions. Isn't God good?

    I'm so glad that you're enjoying your new job! That's always a good thing. :) Also glad that you're still finding time to Twitter. hehe

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!